Labor Day weekend marks the end of summer and I am stoked. Fall is my favorite season! Therefore, September and October are my favorite months. I love summer, but I’m really excited for another beautiful fall in the Ozarks. Why do I like fall so much? That should be obvious, but here are a few reasons:
1. The weather. This reason is number one because it is my number one favorite thing about the fall. I don’t mind the intense heat and humidity we get here in Missouri, but by September I’m ready for cool weather. Fall weather seems to go by so quickly! Jim Gaffigan tweeted the other day that he was looking forward to the upcoming one day of fall. An exaggeration, but you have to admit it’s kind of true! Here in Missouri, we have two months of blazing heat that seem to never end, then glorious 60 degree temperatures for maybe a month, followed by months of bitter cold. But maybe that’s why fall weather is so special. You have to soak it up while it lasts.
2. The leaves. Like the temperatures, the changing of the leaves is so short-lived. The trees turn a beautiful, fiery yellow, orange and red that illuminate the Ozark countryside. The Ozarks get especially wonderful falls because of all the trees and rolling hills. The drive from Springfield to Branson is amazing in the fall. (Looking forward to my favorite festival at Silver Dollar City, Harvest Fest!)
3. The clothes. The weather and the clothes go hand-in-hand. I’m a fall clothes girl. I love wearing athletic shorts and a tank top in the summer, but boots and cardigans are where my heart truly lies. I know you wear boots and cardigans in the winter too, but they are covered up by a huge coat! There is something so happy about going on a walk on a chilly day, but without needing a coat and without getting hot. New items I’m on the hunt for this fall: a brown pair of boots, a new pair of jeans, and a black cardigan.
4. Pumpkin Spice Lattes. We’re entering the season of pumpkin. Pinterest is already starting to flood with recipes to incorporate pumpkin into anything you could imagine. As much as I am annoyed by this, I can’t help but be excited about the PSL. My coffee addiction really set in this summer and I think the return of pumpkin spice lattes is going to be dangerous this fall.
5. No major holidays. This may seem like an odd reason to like fall, but as much as I love holidays, they can be busy and stressful. September and October are months to just enjoy living and spend your weekends doing whatever you want without a million commitments. Summers are always busy, so fall is a nice time to take a breather before the Christmas season.
6. Christmas is coming! As much as I like a break from holidays, I love the Christmas season! I love Christmas parties, Christmas food, Christmas crafts, Christmas music, and, of course, time spent with family. I think it is important to live in the moment and not get stuck dreaming of the next thing, but it is nice to have Christmas lurking just around the corner in the fall.
7. School is easy. Disclaimer: yes, I’m 23 and still living in the world of school years and semesters, and no, school is not exactly easy these days. But I’ve always felt like September and October are a nice time at school because the stress of a new school year has worn off, but finals still feel ages away. The weight of school work really settles in around November, before Thanksgiving break. Plus one can still enjoy studying outside in the beautiful weather before having to be cooped up all winter.
Tomorrow’s high is 97 degrees. Summer, I love you, but I am ready to be done with you for a while. Fall, I welcome you with open arms.
I hope you have a wonderful fall! What is your favorite fall activity?